A Proud Tradition of Architectural Service in Western New York since 1886

Schmill & Gould

Karl G. Schmill
began practicing architecture in Buffalo, in 1886. In 1906, he formed a partnership with George C. Gould and the firm became known as Schmill & Gould. Karl Schmill died in 1914, and his son, Karl G. Schmill, Jr., took over the firm. The younger Schmill graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1910. He went to work for Green and Wicks for a year. In 1912, he joined George Cary and in 1913, he joined his father's firm. Commissions include: Corpus Christi RC Church (1907), NR listed 2007, St. Gerard RC Church (1911).
Schmill & Schmill

After the death of his father in 1914, Karl's brother William Schmill joined the firm and together the two brothers designed many churches, rectories, convents and schools. William died in 1952, and Karl continued to practice architecture with partner C. J. Hoffmeyer until his retirement. Karl Schmill Jr. died in 1967. Commissions include: Transfiguration RC Church (1893), St. John the Evangelist RC Church, Assumption RC Church (1914), Sacred Heart Church.
Schmill, Hoffmeyer, Sloan & Schneider

In 1956, Schmill & Hoffmeyer expanded to form the firm Schmill, Hoffmeyer, Sloan & Schneider. 

Sloan & Schneider

When Karl Schmill Jr. & C. J. Hoffmeyer retired the firm of Sloan & Schneider was formed. Harry D. Schneider's education at Penn State University was interrupted when he enlisted in the army in 1941. He served in the European Theater as a combat engineer, landing on Utah Beach with the 4th Infantry Division. He received two purple hearts and the bronze star and returned home to complete his degree. He practiced architecture in Dunkirk, NY, for two years and then moved to Buffalo, in 1950. He worked for the firm of Schmill & Hoffmeyer until partnering with John Y. Sloan.

Erie County Medical Center (joint venture with Foit-Maharan) (1978), St. Mary's of the Lake School (1960), Trinity-United Methodist Church, Lakeshore Public Library

Schneider Design, Architects, PC

In 1978, after John Sloan’s retirement, Harry and his son, C. Jake Schneider, began Schneider Design, Architects, PC (SDA). Jake attended the University of Notre Dame and studied in Rome, Italy. Harry retired in 1990, and died in 1994.
Schneider Architectural Services, PC

In 2017 SDA rebranded to become Schneider Architectural Services, PC (SARC) as part of the Schneider Family of Services.The commissions of SARC are highlighted throughout this website.