Close

Turner Brothers Lofts

Housing & Restaurant

The project located at 285-295 Niagara Street was dedicated on June 7, 2016. The 55,000 square feet of historic infrastructure is developed into a mix of 40 1 & 2 bedroom apartments, food processing space and associated ground floor retail. The property sits along the first phase of the City of Buffalo and NFTA’s Niagara Street Gateway multi-modal street scape project .

The buildings, constructed between 1848-1910, with various additions dating from 1889-1940, are on the National Register of Historic Places and the project utilized State and Federal Historic Tax Credits and NYS Brown Field Credits.

The original 4-story timber frame Gothic revival building was built for Turner Brothers, who manufactured and distributed soda, ginger wine, sarsaparilla and other syrups for international distribution. The building is an important historic resource from the era when Buffalo was a growing port city as a result of the Erie Canal and played a significant role in the nation’s commercial and transshipment history. Much of the original 1848 iron Gothic Revival storefront facade and wooden doors are still intact and are restored.